This is the kind of "salad" you just wish would magically appear in your fridge every few days, fresh and ready for you to pack in a little container to take for lunch with some crackers or to just be able to nibble on the instant you walk in the door at the end of the day, ravenous and ready to reach for the first thing that comes into contact with your hand, regardless if it's a bag of taco chips or cookies. It's so good and good for you too and I wish I could somehow stock all your fridges with it, but since I can't, I'm doing the next best thing and sharing it with all of you. Throw this together today--it truly takes only minutes and you can customize it by adding or subtracting extra veggies or spices that you like or have on hand, and make it entirely your own. The flavors and textures all blend so well together and it feels strangely decadent with the creaminess of the feta, but is entirely healthy and pretty inexpensive too. Barely a recipe but one that you absolutely need to have in your repertoire. Don't you wish you had a bowl of this all ready just waiting to be nibbled on right now?!!
Chickpea, Scallion, Tomato and Feta Salad
Makes about 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes (or any kind you have handy)
- 2-3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- The juice of one lemon
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. In a medium sized bowl, combine all of the ingredients together well. Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Note: Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart. I added the scallions and changed a lot of the proportions and cut the oregano.