Whether you're working all day or out running Camp Mom (those of you who are know just what I mean!) it's great to have a dish that you can basically throw together in 30 minutes but that tastes like you've spent all day preparing it. I mean it. If you're running home to somehow get dinner on the table after late afternoon swims, beach days or hockey clinics, because you just can't give them pizza again, you need this lemon chicken recipe in your life!!
I don't generally make a lot of skillet recipes, but after tasting this and watching my home judges devour it, I know that is going to change. We all really loved this--the chicken is tender and coated with a light breading and the sauce is slightly creamy and full of delightfully tart lemon flavor. If lemon is your thing, you're going to adore this!! While it was cooking, I made some thin spaghetti on the side and a simple salad and I swear it, that in half and hour from start to finish we were sitting down to dinner--no small accomplishment indeed! And if that's not a good way to start out the week, I don't know what is! Try this tonight and see how quickly you can make those hungry little dinner-waiters happy!
Creamy Skillet Lemon Chicken
Makes 4-5 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
- About 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (if they are very thick, slice them in half the long way or pound them thinner--also you could go up 2 pounds here if you need to stretch the meal a little)
- Salt and pepper to season chicken
- 1/4 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 lemons, juiced plus another lemon to cut slices from
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
1. Heat the butter and oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Meanwhile sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides and coat lightly with the flour, shaking off any excess. Cook the chicken in the skillet for about 3-5 minutes per side, until golden brown on both sides and cooked entirely through (if chicken is thicker you will need to cook a few more minutes per side.) When chicken is done, remove from the skillet to a plate.
2. Add in the chicken broth, the lemon juice and heavy cream and stir together. Bring to a boil and lower the heat to medium-low. Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper. Let the sauce cook for another 3-5 minutes to thicken. Add the chicken back in and spoon the sauce over it. Let it heat for a few minutes, then garnish with the parsley and lemon slices and serve.
Note: Recipe adapted from The Recipe Critic. I omitted the capers and tinkered around with some of the proportions.