I feel like I've been cooking for Jeffrey for the last couple of weeks, so highlighting Ina Garten's latest offering, Cooking for Jeffrey, for this week's Famous Friday's post was a no-brainer. Ever since getting my hands on this terrific new cookbook, I've been testing out all sorts of Jeffrey's favorites ranging from these Butternut Squash, Onion and Ricotta Bruschetta I shared last week, to Chocolate Creme Brûlée (which I will have to make again, much to my family's great disappointment, because I didn't get any good photos. Ha!) Suffice it to say that at this point, it feels like I know Jeffrey better than I should!! But all kidding aside, this is one special cookbook, filled with food you really want to make and eat. The recipes are down-to-earth with easy-to-find ingredients and often classics with a little twist, like this Roast Chicken with Radishes. Jeffrey is one lucky man!!
If you've been keeping up with the blog you may remember my earlier post this week when I waxed poetic about radishes and vowed to include them more in my cooking. I am nothing if not dependable!! And now having loved the crunchiness of raw radishes in the radish slaw that accompanies these Sweet Potato Tacos, I think I'm even more in love with the roasted radish! Roasting brings out their natural sweetness but with every bite, there's still that little spicy radish kick. Yum!
And the chicken is tender and absolutely comforting--simple but not boring. The lemon/thyme combo gives it loads of flavor and the radishes and pan juices really take a simple roast chicken and transform it into an over the top meal. Perfect for cold weather Sunday dinners and a good way to keep on the healthy eating track (I am well aware that we are on Day 5!!) And since more than half the country is expected to be under an arctic freeze with snowy conditions in the next few days, this weekend is the perfect time to experience the perfection of this "ordinary" dish. With Ina as my wife, I'd like to come back as Jeffrey--I mean, who wouldn't?!! And on that strange note, I think it's time for me to stop writing before I get myself into more trouble and wish you all a splendid weekend. Stay warm, cook up something delish for those you love and I'll be back next week with more cold weather favorites as we shiver our way into the second week of January!!!
Jeffrey's Roast Chicken with Radishes-Famous Fridays
Serves 3-4 people
Prep Time: 15 minutes; Cook Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes (or longer if you like very well-done chicken as we do around these parts.)
- One 4-4 1/2 pound roasting chicken, washed and dried very well
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into quarters
- Several sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh radishes, scrubbed, dried well, and trimmed. If some of them are very large, cut them in halves or quarters
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF. Place the chicken in a roasting pan that just fits the chicken well and season the cavity of the chicken with salt and pepper. Add in the lemon and thyme. Arrange the radishes all over the bottom of the pan.
2. Brush the chicken and radishes with the melted butter and season again with salt and pepper.
3. Roast for at least 1 and 1/2 hours, until chicken is cooked through or longer if you like it more well done. Remove from oven and cover the pan loosely with a piece of aluminum foil to allow the chicken to rest. Carve and serve with the radishes and pan juices.
Note: Recipe adapted from Cooking for Jeffrey by Ina Garten. Ina suggests tying the chicken legs together with kitchen string but I never do this and it comes out great.